Thursday, May 13, 2010

Have a slice of Pi


So, as most of you know, over the past few years I've been memorizing pi a little at a time. It all started in the car on a roadtrip when my dad informed me that he had 30-some digits of pi memorized. Being the competitive person that I am, I was rather intrigued. I made up my mind that I would also have to memorize pi. So, my memorization journey began. With my dad's help I memorized as many digits as he had fairly quickly. I kept on, occasionally adding 3 or 4 more digits at a time. Not before long I had memorized 68 digits of pi. While impressive, I find myself stuck. I try to add on 3 more digits, but they just don't stick! Maybe it's because I'm not as passionate about it as I used to be. I figure, hey, if I can get shock-value with 68 digits, that's good enough for me! I know you're probably waiting for the dramatic end to this story, the exciting punch line, but that was really all I had to say. Just wanted to get it out of my system!

Brandon just finished mowing the front lawn. It's so hot out, poor guy! He's definitely a trooper. He's like a mailman that doesn't let any type of weather stop him. I suppose he has to be that way, though, in his line of work. He crawls through sweltering 140-degree attics! I would be passed out within 2 minutes! I guess that's a Happ thing, though. We overheat pretty easily. Like this past weekend when I went to the Desert Botanical Gardens with Katie, it was all outdoors (to my dismay) and it was blazing hot! I immediately started sweating and was inwardly loathing every minute of it. It wasn't as bad when we went in the Butterfly Emporium. It was a big netted tent with misters that came on every few minutes. It was fun to see all the butterflies but they didn't keep my attention off the heat for long. I was not appropriately dressed for the occasion, which didn't help matters at all. I wore a black shirt, dark jeans, and dark tennis shoes. This was because I was under the impression that everything (or, mostly everything) was going to be indoors. It wasn't so!! And to top it all off, it was $18 to get in! WAY overpriced, in my opinion! Just outside pathways with cacti and sporadic lizards/birds and the like. Oh, and the cafe there charges $5 for a hotdog! Really?? My goodness, it's robbery, I tell you! Thankfully we didn't stay long, but at the same time I almost wanted to stay longer so I could get my $18-worth (that's the stingy masochist in me, I guess!). Well, you live and learn.

My tummy is a rumblin' so I better go eat a Swiss Cake Roll. Cheers!

2 comments: